Penn Arts & Sciences Logo

Undergraduate English Research Grants

Each year, the Department of English awards a small number of Undergraduate Research and Travel Grants. These may be used to cover any travel expenses which are eligible under UPenn policy (, including costs incurred by travel to archives, costs affiliated with photocopying, permissions, reproductions, and other legitimate research expenses. Researchers must have a Faculty Director enthusiastically willing to oversee and sponsor their project.

To apply, please submit the following materials to the Undergraduate Chair:

  • A detailed 500-1000 word proposal.
  • A precise, researched, and itemized buget (with explanations where necessary) detailing costs. Please make clear which of these items are part of your grant request.
  • A letter of support from your Faculty Director.

Applicants can apply for a grant in a given fiscal year as early as July 1st. Applications will be read on a rolling basis until the money is exhausted. Approval will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis.

After the research has been completed, students must submit their receipts for reimbursement via the online Concur Travel and Expense Management system. Students will be required to upload copies of receipts and award email document as part of the submission process. The system can be accessed by clicking on "Concur Travel and Expense" under "Travel" on the U@Penn page:

 A couple of general reminders regarding expense reimbursement:

  • If you rent a car while conducting business or research for Penn you must use one of the Penn-authorized rental companies. You must also take the on-line knowledge building driving course every three years. If you do not take this course and have an accident, your department will be responsible for all damages resulting from the accident.
  • Sales taxes on book purchases are not reimbursable.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the business office at