The Restoration to Victorian ("ResVic") Studies Reading Group at the University of Pennsylvania brings together graduate students and faculty from various disciplines to discuss writing and cultural production in the period from the Restoration through the Victorian era. The group provides a space to explore different theoretical and methodological approaches to Anglophone literature produced in England, Scotland, Ireland, the Caribbean and North America. Group activities include invited scholarly lectures from scholars worldwide and discussions of literary and critical texts. The group also provides a forum for scholars within the Penn community and beyond to present new work ("works-in-progress"), as well as hosts workshops focused on the state of the field and professionalization.
Related Groups at UPenn
• American Literature Seminar, (English Department)
• Atlantic Studies Seminar
• Gender and Sexuality Reading Group (English Department)
• McNeil Center for Early American Studies
• Modernist and Twentieth Century Studies (English Department)
• ACLA: American Comparative Literature Association
• ASECS: American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
• MLA: Modern Language Association
• NASSR: North American Society for the Study of Romanticism
• NEASECS: Northeast American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
• NAVSA: North American Victorian Studies Association
• The Dickens Project
• Eighteenth-Century Resources, maintained by Jack Lynch: An extensive and various collection of links on all things 18th, including a comprehensive catalogue of Eighteenth-Century E-Texts--thank you Jack!
• Voice of the Shuttle Romantics Page, maintained by Alan Liu: An extensive collection of links to Romantic period e-text archives, author pages, organizations, and listsevs. Also helpful are the Restoration & 18th century and History of the Book pages.
March 15, 2018 - 6:00pm to 7:30pm
Manu Samriti Chander (Rutgers), "Brown Romantics: Poetry and Nationalism in the Global Nineteenth Century"February 28, 2018 - 5:00pm to 6:30pm
November 16, 2017 - 6:00pm to 7:30pm
October 25, 2017 - 6:00pm to 7:30pm
"Home Grown: Raising an Indigenous Missionary in The Female American."October 9, 2017 - 6:00pm to 7:30pm
Submitting to an Academic Journal Q&A with Coffee and Donuts!October 9, 2017 - 3:30pm to 4:30pm