Writing the Journey: June 1999
SHERATON UNIVERSITY CITY HOTEL
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA,
36th and Chestnut St.
PHILADELPHIA, PA. 19104
Registration will include:
- Reception on Friday, June 11
- Dinner on Saturday, June 12
- Coffee Breaks (Continental Breakfast) June 11-13
- Conference Program and Abstracts
- Admission to All Conference Sessions
- Keynote Address by Colin Thubron, author of travel
books on Russia, Central Asia, China, Israel, and Siberia (forthcoming)
Conference Room Rates at the UNIVERSITY SHERATON:
- Single $109
- Double $119
- To make reservations, call 215-387-8000, ask for Brenda, and identify the conference. (The hotel does not recommend calling the Sheraton 800 number, because they will give you the regular [higher] rather than the conference rate.)
You can also FAX the hotel at 215-387-5939.
(To assure room and rate, reservations should be made by May 1.)
For air travel, most major airlines fly into or connect with Philadelphia. USAIRWAYS has a hub in Philadelphia, however, and has the most flights. You can get a discount of 5-15% with USAIRWAYS by calling 1-800-334-8644. Select option "1" and refer to the Conference "Gold File Number"--44641002. Highest discount requires 60-day advance reservation. Besides major U.S. and Canadian cities, USAIRWAYS flies from London, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam. Airport/Hotel Shuttle: Lady Liberty 215-724-8888
For railway travel, The main AMTRAK station in Philadelphia, 30th Street Station, is only five blocks from the hotel.
For those driving, the University is just a couple of blocks off Interstate 76, 30th Street exit. If you are coming on the Pennsylvania turnpike from the west, exit onto 76 at Valley Forge. If you are coming from the east on the turnpike, exit at Route 476, and after a mile or so, look for the exit on the right to 76. If you are coming on Route 95 from the north or south, exit at 676, which takes you straight through Philadelphia. Take a right onto 76, then exit immediately at 30th Street Station. Go west about six blocks on Market St., then turn left on Chestnut. You'll see the Sheraton on your left. You can park in the hotel garage, use the meters, or park in the public lot on Chestnut next to the hotel.
RETURN TO MAIN CONFERENCE PAGE
RETURN TO MAIN CONFERENCE PAGEUpdated May 23, 1999