Welcome to the English Majors' Career Liaison website! You can use this site to find Penn alumni who were English majors and who are now working across a wide array of professions. With the help of SAS Computing, we maintain an up-to-date database of interested alumni who majored in English while at Penn. These alums have volunteered as career advisors for our current majors. You can search by profession, geographical region or state, or year of graduation. These alumni have expressed a readiness to answer your questions about their current jobs and their career paths. They are there to give you what advice they can about their own professions, about job-hunting, and about the world of work.
For some initial contact ideas, see our list of questions you might ask.
Finally: before you begin, we must ask you to follow a few rules of courtesy:
- Please don't ask an alum for a job; that's not why they're here.
- If you call alumni, ask whether now is a convenient time to speak. Are they busy at the moment and would they would prefer setting up another time?
- Please be polite. Have a real conversation. Do not grill the alum.
- Remember that you are speaking to a real person who is volunteering valuable time and expertise for free.
- Please be personable. It's okay to ask alumni about their own experiences. These are dynamic and successful people; be respectful and interested.
- Make sure you thank every alum you contact each time you contact the alum.